Thursday, January 7, 2010

Growing with Rocco


I knew when I had Rocco that I wanted to try and make his baby food. But when the time came and he was ready to eat solids, I ended up buying pre-made baby food. Now that I am making his food, I look back and thought about why I didn't take on making my own.

I just started making Rocco's food when Rocco started his new daycare. Jill, the provider, makes all her own baby food, grows her own food and has chickens in the back for fresh eggs. She gives me a daily report that shows what Rocco has eaten for breakfast and lunch. I talked to her for tips and realized how easy it is to make baby food. Even though I read all the baby food blogs and knew I could do this.

So why did I not make Rocco's food from the beginning? I think I was intimidated. Although I love to cook, I thought I might do it wrong and I need to make sure he is eating enough and that I always have something ready at the house or on the go. There are so many new things that come with being a first time mom, that I took the back seat on making food.

But now I feel powerful making his own food. There are so many tasty, healthy, easy and fun things to make. Sometimes I feed him what we are eating and I blend it up. But if that doesn't work, I have frozen cubes of fruit and vegetables that I have already steamed or roasted ready to go. Add some chicken, pork, turkey or tofu and you are set.

I just found a new food blog today that I love. It inspired Rocco's dinner tonight which is my first very own speciality.

Rocco's Power House
- Ground Turkey cooked
- Steam some Spinach, Carrots, Celery and Apple (did this all in one pot)
- Add a spoonful of cottage cheese and a sprinkle of Wheat Germ (high in Vitamin E and Folic Acid)
- Blend all together

New favorite blog - http://weelicious.com

1 comment:

jen said...

I just tried to post and had trouble....hopefully I'm not double posting. I can't wait to see you guys- Rocco is SO beautiful and vibrant! He has so much hair! He does look like he could be a few years old- very healthy and looks so much like his momma and papa! Go momma bears on the homemade BB food- you continuously amaze me.C u soon...